Hello there! I'm Irene Alvarado, a UX designer and creative technologist based in NYC. I believe in approaching big problems with an interdisciplinary mindset and in constantly learning by doing through rapid iteration. I recently completed a master in Human Computer Interaction and Emerging Media at Carnegie Mellon University and am now a Fiver at the Google Creative Lab.
I investigate spaces where design, visualization, storytelling, and computation overlap, and use a combination of design thinking and technical expertise to create interactive experiences and data visualization projects.
Recent passion projects include:
- Teaching a "Prototyping in Augmented Reality" course at NYU's ITP.
- Helping coordinate the production of the first Cybernetics conference in NYC.
- Participating in a monthly cybernetics reading group where a diverse group of folks mostly talk about systems thinking.
- Translating a Machine Learning for Artists Guide into Spanish, with the hope that machine learning becomes more accessible to people outside of the tech world.
- Mentoring an amazing young coder/entrepreneur/artist teenager through Code Next.
- Recently becoming more diligent about collecting my thoughts, ongoing research, and inspirations on Are.na. If I don't reflect and go back to what I read or see it's much harder to integrate with existing knowledge.
- Bouldering as much as I can on weekends.